Saturday, May 30, 2009

Recent entries


"A short pencil is better than a long memory" - Confucius

I've had much more opportunity to write these days since I have my own room with internet. This won't last much longer as I'm set to move again, but for now it enables me to get a lot written. Things I used to just put into my journal, I now just edit and post. I've got quite a few interesting topics buried in my journal that I need to explore, but for now daily living seems to provide enough stimulation to get something written.

Reading over some of what I've written lately, I've realized it's been mostly negative. Working over here with these guys certainly gives you a lot of ups and downs. I think the most common phrase I use here is a head shake and a muttering under my breath to myself, "These f%^@ing guys." But on the flip side, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. The sense of satisfaction is real when it comes, and the camaraderie that comes with the job is irreplaceable.

At any rate, I think the hotter weather, the constant pain in my wrist, and the fact that I haven't been sleeping well have all caused me to lose patience with these guys a little faster than normal. I know better than to show my exasperation with the ANA to the ANA unless it's truly necessary (On many levels the ANA seem to resemble children, and how angry can you really get at a child...?). And so some of the frustration comes out in my writing.

3 comments:

K-Dubyah said...

Tis always a good thing to have an outlet for venting frustrations. Unless of course, you'd rather be hurling rocks, which is great for that purpose. Good luck on your upcoming move.

Sassy Fox said...

That picture should be in a newspaper or displayed for all to see. Isn't that an ANA officer helping out a fellow man i.e. US Marine? Is that great or what?

SA said...

That's exactly what it is, an ANA soldier giving a helping hand to a marine. I wasn't there on that day, but apparently the current in the river was very strong, and this took place in the winter so the water was very cold. The Afghan soldiers got across by all staying together and holding onto each other.