Friday, January 30, 2009

Blogs

My only real sources of outside news here are my telephone conversations with family and friends, The Wall Street Journal that my father sends me, and the one hour or so a week I get on the internet. In that one hour of time I have on the internet each week I generally do not find traditional news sources’ websites to be especially helpful for what I’m looking for, namely, international relations/defense news and economic/financial news. I have found the following two blogs to be very informative however:

http://peacelikeariverblog.com

http://greatdepression2006.blogspot.com/

The former being where I go for all things related to defense and international relations and the latter being where I get my economic news. The writer of thegreatdepression2006.com may take an overly pessimistic view of events, but he’s entertaining nonetheless.


Speaking of The Wall Street Journal (Yes, it is a little strange reading “The Journal” in the middle of nowhere in Afghanistan, in an area where the local people live much as they must have 1000 years ago.) a quote from the famous historian Edward Gibbon was printed in an edition from last month: “In the end more than they wanted freedom, they wanted security. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free.”


Seem applicable to today?

No comments: